"To push the boundaries, you need to know where the edges are." - Mark Boulton

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Impaired Vision Experience

While under the case study of designing a space for people who are visually impaired I underwent a workshop that allowed me to experience what it is like to not have clear vision. There are different levels of vision impairment. A lower level of impairment like blurry vision can be experience by putting a a plastic bag over your eyes. One call still make out figures but if a person wanted to read anything they would have to get  very close to the sign or paper to make out letters. There are other levels of impairment such as tunnel vision, loss of parts, and central vision. Each in their own way inhibit an individual from seeing clearly.



For the next part of the workshop I wore glasses with petroleum jelly to limit my vision. I could only see vague contours of objects. I still saw my surroundings but in a very blurry manner. Due to this, using an ATM and going down stairs was a bit difficult.


         
   


No comments:

Post a Comment